Area Development

 

Contract One

The first contract was under plan 2272, drawn at York on the 19th April 1924, completed between 17/3/1925 and 17/6/25, and occupied from 28th May 1925. Included in the specifications were French tiles for the roofs, and 11" hollow walls. Rumour in `the Trade` has it that the tiles came from Belgium, paid for by German reparations after the Great War.

A note on this plan said that there would be 222 houses and 8 shops. Quite what happened to the other 32 houses was not explained. The houses would consist of 32 type A with 1 reception and 3 bed, 38 type B1 2 reception and 3 bed, 122 type B2 2 reception and 3 bed, and 30 type C with 2 reception and 4 bed rooms. This was not what was built in the event. The layout was sites 1-12 on Woodlea, sites 15-32* east side of Briarwood, sites 33-38 west side of Briarwood, 41-48 on the north side of Hollywood, and sites 49-76 on the south side of Hollywood. 72 houses in all in this first contract. *Sites 15-16 actually face on to Hollywood Avenue.

On the 9th of April 1924 an agreement was entered into between the LNER and Gosforth UDC regarding the drainage of the land purchased in 1921.

On the 7th May 1924 Plan 2344 for 20 semidetached houses with subsidies was put in. Plans for the roads on the 4th June and sewers 2nd July 1924. By the 30th July 1924, there were reports of running sands on the site. These were the subject of discussion concerning the sewers on the 3rd September 1924. On the 1st October 1924, the first names of the streets were proposed. Stevenson Avenue, Woodleigh Avenue was changed to Woodlea Avenue. Park Avenue was rejected.

By the end of 1924 the Committee had changed its name to the Planning Committee. (UD/GO/5/4). After further discussion regarding the street names the following names were agreed upon. Woodlea, Stevenson Avenue, and Allen Vale. There would be gas lighting on the estate, although not on Woodlea Gardens. The road here was not part of the estate. On the 29th April 1925 the LNER was asking approval for 3 bed semis the same as those under construction on Haddricks Mill Road, where the NER/LNER had owned land since at least 1913. However, the design put in was different to the design already submitted. The ownership of the land east of the smallpox hospital was a bit complex. Where the allotments now are, was the former sewerage farm from the 1870`s, and owned by the Council.

Where Salters Bridge is, was owned by the Laycocks. The bit in between was owned by the Dunns. This last bit the Exors of George Dunn were prepared to give to the Council so that a road could be made up. It abutted both sides of the carriage track that had led to a gateway next to the bridge. The carriage track had come from Low Gosforth Hall next to where the County Archives office is situated in Melton Park. This carriage track had been constructed, along with Dentmires Bridge, following the sale of the Earl of Carlisle`s land to the Brandlings in 1803.

On the 3rd of June 1925 the Planning Committee was told that due to the increased cost of building 3 bed houses, buyers were withdrawing. The LNER requested 2 bed houses instead. These would consist of 2 bed, parlour, scullery, bath and WC, with an agreed subsidy of 10/-. (50p).

An application was put before the Committee on the 17th June 1925 for the following:

2 of Type 7 with 1 reception and 3 bed 880 square feet.
6 of Type 11 with 1 reception and 3 bed 870 square feet.
14 of Type 20 with 2 reception and 3 bed 949½ square feet.

On the 29th of July 1925 the original 11″ sewer was increased to 18″. The Committee was told on the 2nd September that this was to accommodate 540 acres adjacent to the Garden Village when it was developed. Also in September the LNER was proposing 38 houses on the west side (?) of Hollywood Avenue. On the corner sites certain houses were subsidized. Due to this they were to be reduced from 5 rooms to 4 rooms. This applied to sites 131-134. These were on the corners of Beechwood Avenue and Hollywood Avenue. The site numbers referred to are those on the deeds of most of the houses in the Village. On the 7th October, the LNER was told that there would be no subsidies for the smaller Type 26 houses. A lamp letter post box was to be installed on Hollywood Avenue.

The Committee was told that a footpath existed from the estate up to a gate on the North Road.

Get In Touch